Sunday, June 27, 2010

It's Pundering, Mama!


As a little girl I remember being at the boat during a thunderstorm.We used to take wonderful naps with the pitter patter of the rain on the water. I have always love thunderstorms. So much so, I will wait and watch the sky for them.

When Elise was small, unlike most children, she loved thunderstorms as well. As soon as we heard the rumble of thunder we would head to the porch to watch for its arrival. She would be concentrating on whatever she was doing, and look up at me and say, "It's pundering, Mama!" Then we would head out waiting and watching. I have taught her to count the time between the thunder and lightning, to see if the storm is coming or going. I have taught her to watch the sky for thunder heads and to smell the air. Believe me I never put her in danger. When things really got going we would head inside.

The strange thing about thunderstorms is the beauty and the power behind the lightning. I love lightning...it reminds me so much of God. How beautiful He is but oh how powerful. It is amazing to me that we can be crawling up on His lap for the comfort or peace that we need but yet His power is always there.

In my life time, my house has been struck by lightning 3 times. The first time was in Ky shortly before our move here. It claimed one TV and VCR. The second time was also in Ky the week before we moved here. Lightning claimed our TV, we waited until we moved here to get a new one. And the third, was here in this house, just today. So far it looks like it has claimed one TV, two VCRs. Our power to the outlets in the back part of the house are not working. So who knows what will come of this power!

But still I love thunderstorms. I know the damage they can cause and treat them with respect but they teach us so much. They bring relief from the smothering heat, they refresh life, and they remind me of God's great power......Bring on the Reign, Lord!

0 comments: