Saturday, March 15, 2008

Figuring It Out

I have taught school for almost 20 years and still don't have it figured out yet.

Being a teacher is at times the most rewarding and yet most frustrating of all jobs. I love being with the kids and getting to know them, I love imparting knowledge to them. I get excited when I see the light bulbs go off when they discover something new. However, I get so bogged down with the content of the curriculum, discipline, and our very busy schedule that I sometimes forget who I am teaching for.

I am teaching ultimately for God, that the kids will love Him with all of their hearts,soul, and strength. It is also frustrating when I can't seem to find the right thing that might motivate the students. My heart breaks for those I can't seem to reach but rejoices with those that I seem to touch.

As a teacher, I seem to hear more negative than good. Is that because of the way society sees us, as not as important as doctors or sports teams? That I can't answer. I can only answer to one master and that of course is God. I have been so blessed by some of the parents and some of the many that have traveled in and out of my room. It is a sad realization to know that I only have 180 days to impact some one's life for eternity. And what a hefty job that is. Have I made mistakes? Yes, everyday. Have I made a difference? I sure hope so. However, only time will tell that.

So why do I suffer through this plight? I guess the only answer I have for that is that I am trying to be obedient to the call the Lord has for my life.

Our school is in a transformation. We are about ready to turn a corner and really make an impact for God. Should I be surprised that there is a battle for the very students' souls that I teach. Should I be surprised that after almost 20 years I am sitting at the computer, typing,wondering what in the world the Lord has planned next for me? I so want to be in His will and do what He wants. God didn't say that our life would be easy. He did say that the plans he has for us will not harm us.

Maybe I will never have things figured out. The only true thing I know is that the God who created the universe,knows my name,knows the number of hairs on my head,and has chosen me to fight His fight. Am I strong enough? Not by myself but with God all things are possible.

One day, when my time here is up, will I hear the words...Well done,good and faithful servant. Boy I sure hope so.

0 comments: