Sunday, February 7, 2010

To My Daddy D

February 7, 2010

To My Daddy D,

Each week your writing would inspire people so I am writing this as a gift to you.

Do you remember the first time we met? I do, Joel had just had a wreck
in his red BMW 2002. We had taken the station wrecker and towed it home to Lawrenceburg to be fixed. It was in the living room of the old house. When we met, it wasn't like it was for the first time...it was like I had been part of your family. From that day on it seemed like I was part of your family. You never treated me like anything other than that.

When I think about all of the great events in my life you are there, sometimes in the for front, sometimes just in the shadows: Graduation, baptism, marriage, child birth, surgeries, sickness. Some of those mine and some of those my family.

Shortly after Joel and I were married I asked you one day what I should call you. Your reply was just a simple "Daddy D." I can remember you saying that you and Betty didn't just have 6 kids but you had 12, I am blessed to be one of those lucky dozen. What a great Dad you have been to me! You see that is what I considered myself to you, I am your daughter. I cannot tell you how many of your words (either preached or just in day to day conversation) resonate in my mind. When you married Joel and I, you said we would go through storms, I will have to say I was a little upset, I thought Joel and I going through storms was a wild idea. Now almost twenty years later, I think if you said that to me today, I would like to sit and talk with you for a while. The stories of your life have encourage me in some of the darkest days. One of my favorites is the story of the leaning barn with just a stick or two holding it up.

It has been almost 22 years, I have grown a lot under you wings and guidance. You have served as father-in-law, pastor, grandfather, and most of all a Dad. The greatest gift that I learned from you was how to love people, regardless of where they come from, what they look like, or where they have been. You minister and encourage everyone you come in contact with, always putting them first.

I guess what I am trying to say in all this "bumbling and fumbling" is that having you in my life has be one of the greatest joys. I have seen Jesus and feel closer to Him because of you. So Daddy D rest, rest in the assurance that you have a friend in Jesus, rest in the fact that your legacy will live out through your children, your grandchildren, and your great grandchildren. I love you Daddy D!

Tracey


Daddy D met Jesus on February 14th, 2010 at 8:15am. A Sunday no less. Thank you Daddy D for loving me. Thank you Jesus for loving my Daddy D.

0 comments: